This church dates back to the 12th century, although part of it already existed in 977. The building combines the Romanesque style with elements of transition towards the Gothic style. In this parish church we can find the Gothic tomb of Pere de Rovira, who took the reliquaries of Saint Vincent to Besalú in 1413.
In Safont Street, right at the entrance to the town, we find what was the parish church of Sant Vicenç, one of the oldest buildings in Besalú. Although the church we can see is from the 12th century, part of the structure already existed in the year 977.
The church has three naves with a transept and three semicircular apses. Inside, the difference of height between the central nave and the side naves captures the attention. They are separated by three arches resting on rectangular pillars, two on each side.
It is a construction combining the Romanesque style with features of the transition to the Gothic, as seen in the rose window, the main window and some side chapels. The architectural highlight is the decoration on the main and side doors, which contains winged animals and monsters ascending by the capitals.
In this parish church is the Gothic tomb of Pere de Rovira, who in 1413 brought the relics of Saint Vicenç to Besalú. Inside a Gothic side chapel is kept the reliquary of the true cross given by the Catalan politician Francesc Cambó in 1923, replacing the first that was given by Bernat Tallaferro, Count of Besalú, in 1017.
In 1931 it was declared an Historical Artistic Monument of National Interest.