Museum located in the Benedictine monastery of Sant Pere de Galligants. It houses an important archaeological collection which includes materials from various sites throughout Girona ranging from prehistoric times up to the Middle Ages.
The Benedictine monastery at Sant Pere de Galligants is the seat of one of the oldest museums in Catalonia, the Archaeological Museum, which displays the old Provincial Museum collection, founded in 1846.
The museum exhibits the first archaeological remains uncovered in Empúries, stone slabs and Roman sculptures from Girona and medieval epigraphy.
The museum has brought together archaeological remains from several sites in the region of Girona, spanning from prehistory to the Middle Ages. It also brings together a large number of Hebrew stelai and tombs and comprises the largest European display of this kind.
The centre of the museum is in the cloister and in the church of the Romanesque temple of Sant Pere de Galligants, and in the rooms built above the cloister in the 19th century. It has formed part of the Museu d´Arqueologia de Catalunya since 1992.
One has to start with the rooms above the cloister in order to walk through the museum in chronological order. A visit to the monastery provides a deeper understanding of the Catalonian Romanesque.