Romanesque church from the mid-12th century, built on an old Romanesque church from the year 904 and converted into a Benedictine monastery. The building has a Latin cross layout with five square apses. It also has a belfry.
In the mid 10th century, Guifré II of Besalú, grandson of Guifré el Pilós, established a Benedictine monastery in an old Romanesque church built in 904. The monastery was the third most important in the area, after those of Ripoll and Sant Joan de les Abadesses, and lasted until well into the 18th century.
The only building currently remaining is a Romanesque church built in the mid 12th century and consecrated in 1169. It is a building laid out as a Latin cross with five square apses (the biggest being as wide as the nave) and with a single vaulted nave. Where the nave and the transept meet there is an octagonal dome, culminating in a square, two-storey bell tower with elegant openings on each level.
It has ornamentation more fitting to the Cistercian order than to the Benedictines, for its austerity and for the use of corbels and cornices and the quadrangular layout of the apses. The entrance door of the church is the outstanding feature of the west façade.