Although the castle was mentioned for the first time in 1059, the building we see today is from the 17th century. It has an irregular layout, with different tower-shaped sections. The dominant style is Renaissance.
The old town of Altafulla is known as La Vila Closa, declared a Historic and Artistic Ensemble of National Interest by the Regional Government of Catalonia in 1998. The name refers to the closing of the walls, of which some remains are preserved, as well as the towers and three gates.
It is notable for its steep streets, with curious features like the Santa Teresa passageway, the square known as La Placeta, Carrer del Forn, Plaça del Pou, the church of Sant Martí and Altafulla castle.
The castle was mentioned for the first time in 1059. It belonged to the Requesens family from the beginning of the 14th century to the year 1472, when it was acquired by Pere de Castellet. It was the descendants of the first marquis of Tamarit, who came into possession of the castle in the 17th century, who maintained the property throughout the following centuries.
The building we can see today is from the 17th century and has been kept in magnificent conditions. It has an irregular layout, with several tower-shaped parts. It is crowned by battlements and lookout posts that give it the appearance of a fort. The dominant style is Renaissance, which we can particularly see in the doors and windows.
The castle is currently privately owned and it is not possible to visit the inside.