The Diablo (Devil’s) bridge is located over the Llobregat river where it crosses Martorell; it has become this city´s symbol. From the original Roman monument, located in the Vía Augusta and started in the 2nd century B.C., we still find the remains of the abutment piers (with the inscriptions of the legions that worked on it), the foundations and the triumphal arch which provides access from the east side of the bridge, that dates back to the 2nd century A.D., with two Corinthian pilasters.
The bridge has been rebuilt several times throughout the centuries. The Gothic reconstruction executed in 1289 under the direction of Bernat Sellés stands out. It incorporated the characteristic uneven ogival arches.
The central arch, the biggest of the three, has a span of 37 metres with a double angle, and above it, in the middle of the vault, there is a small construction, like a small house with a gable roof. These arches were destroyed during the Spanish Civil War and were finally rebuilt in 1963 from the Gothic design.
The name of the bridge comes from the legend that the devil built it for a maid that had to collect water in a far away fountain every day, and that was prepared to surrender her soul in return for not having to make such an effort.